Friday, January 21, 2005

last but not relenting... EXO!

my white sterile gloves became almost red with blood after suturing my very last extraction for my entire student life... i needed 3 more. 3 more extractions and oral surgery would be closed. so i went into school... threw in my instruments for sterilization and waited in line to PERFORM!

approached dr. mirador for diagnosis... and he approved 4! onto my chair... wore my gloves and numbed the patient dead. it was going well... i struggled with the anteriors but i didn't pay much attention to it. i went on... 2 incisors out. 1 birooted premolar out. and onto the extralong canine!!!

before i pricked my needle into where the root is approximated, i stared at the radiograph... felt my heart stop when i saw the length of the root, but retrieved my gum separator from the tray to proceed. i thought, some skill involved but manageable... i just extracted a birooted premolar... whats a canine?

what's a canine??? a fuckin pain in the ass...

after what seemed like an hour of nudging... forward and backward. right and left. rocking and rocking. my hand was getting numb yet the tooth remained intact. no sign of movement... not even a micro inch... nada! i braved it once again... more force... more force... more force... my hand shaking... my whole body tense... my heart raising... all to no avail! so i decided to come up to dr. mirador: "sir i can't do it anymore!"... and as it turned out... he can't too!

so there we were... chisel and mallet... crushing bone and lacerating gums to get the tooth out. blood was everywhere. 3 packs of gauze to the bin. 2 more packs stolen from other clinicians. 2 packs of tissue gone. suturing thread all consumed. fragments of bone... crushed. energy... lost. pride... lost. section... closed. dr calixtro will be ecstatic!

so i realized... all's well that ends well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home